Sunday, October 15, 2006

Movie: The Science of Sleep

On the evening when this Blog was created, we went to see "The Science of Sleep". It had potential, but the plot did not gel for me. Perhaps this looseness with the plot was intentional, but it did not make for as pleasant a movie watching experience as it should have been, based on the talent of the creative team involved. Lots of low-budget, funky/creative "special effects" a-la previous Michel Gondry videos, though.

From Gondry, I liked "The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" better---and thought that "David Chappelle's Block Party" was great, though that was in great part thanks to Chappelle and the music.

The New York Times reviewer liked "The Science of Sleep" more than I did.

One image that stays with me is Gael, with his hands swollen, running around his office. It reminded me of the lyrics to Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" :
"When I was a child, I had a fever // My hands felt just like two balloons."

Is this one of those feelings that are a common universal experience, but somehow has an actual a physiological basis?

Other candidates: When you fall at the end of a dream, and wake up; the feeling of being awake but unable to move when waking up from sleep, as if a heavy weight is holding you down... There's probably something physical going on in the body and the central nervous system that causes these sensations, yielding similar results in most people.

And why is it that one is more likely to have nightmares or intense dreams after eating a big steak?

No comments: