Thursday, April 19, 2007

From Gonzales' testimony

My favorite exchange, as highlighted by Salon:
Durbin: And I think that we have heard here, about some of the political considerations, comments about "loyal Bushies" by Kyle Sampson, the involvement of Mr. Rove in decisions about the fate of some of these U.S. attorneys, raises a serious question as to whether or not your continued service is going to make it difficult for professional prosecutors in the Department of Justice to do their job effectively.

Gonzales: Senator, if I could respond, I think, again, it's absolutely true that this is not about Alberto Gonzales. It's about what's best for the department and whether or not I can continue to be effective in leading this department. I believe that I can be ... Clearly, there are issues that I have to deal with. And I'm going to work as hard as I can to reestablish trust and confidence with this committee and members of Congress and, of course, with the career professionals at our department. And all the credit, everything that we do, the credit goes to them. And so, when there are attacks against the department, you're attacking the career professionals.

Durbin: Now, Mr. Gonzales, that is like saying if I disagree with the president's policy on the war, I'm attacking the soldiers.

It takes a lot of gall for Gonzales to make that claim --- the charge is precisely that he's politicizing the department, in detriment of the career professionals!

Speaking of which, the top career professionals in the Minessotta office have stepped backwards, in protest for the performance of the newly appointed, 33-year old, Christianist loyal Bushie Rachel Paulose. Looks like she's lost the confidence of her staff, and quite quickly. Now this seems like a better reason to ask for a resignation, than most of the rationales used for the firing of the Gonzales 8.

No comments: