Sunday, November 05, 2006

Lifestyle choice, blame the wife?

A classic: Seattle Pastor blames Haggard's wife for her husband's lifelong homosexuality, denial, and deception. Dan Savage's reaction is, as usual, hilarious and on-the-point.

This piece of (attempted) rationalization from David Frum at the National Review is also a classic. One man puts his wife at risk for HIV/AIDS and lies to his children, friends and congregation. He also uses religion to mobilize politically against letting openly gay, commited couples marry. "The other publicly reveals his homosexuality, vilifies traditional moral principles, and urges the legalization of drugs and prostitution." Frum asks: Which man is leading the more moral life? Well, sir, we disagree.

From Haggard's letter of apology:
I am a deceiver and a liar. There is a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I've been warring against it all of my adult life. For extended periods of time, I would enjoy victory and rejoice in freedom. Then, from time to time, the dirt that I thought was gone would resurface, and I would find myself thinking thoughts and experiencing desires that were contrary to everything I believe and teach.

Through the years, I've sought assistance in a variety of ways, with none of them proving to be effective in me.
And then these folks argue that it's "a lifestle choice"? Why would you choose to be gay, rather than straight, and make your life so much more difficult?

Update: Andrew Sullivan discusses this quote, with more, um, personal insight than I can ever hope to have.

No comments: